Here is the list of 57 most interesting topics for cause and effect essay. When writing a cause and effect essay, you may choose to consider only causes, only effects, or both (which is less common though). Remember to demonstrate what you have chosen to consider in a thesis statement. For example,
1. What are the effects of secure attachment on the development of a child? Do these effects last into adulthood?
2. What are the effects of taking longer maternity leave? (It is interesting to look at both effects on the career of a mother and family income and effects on the development of a child)
3. What are the causes of parent-child conflict?
4. The causes and effects of domestic violence (on the victim, on children).
5. What causes a current crisis in reproductive health?
6. The causes and effects of infidelity in relationships.
7. The effects of divorce (On the divorced and the society or on the children of divorce – both subtopics are broad enough, so it is better not to cover them both unless the essay is long).
8. The effects of single parenthood (on a child, on a single parent, on a country).
9. The causes and effects of family estrangement.
10. How does traveling the world affect life and personality?
11. How does abortion affect the reproductive and mental health of a woman?
12. The effects of pornography on individuals and society (You may also consider the effects on men, which have been the focus of many recent research and discussions too)
13. What are the effects of the internet on reading and thinking? Review of the credible sources on the topic.
14. The effects of viewing violent media or playing violent video games.
15. How does the notion of free will affect society? Review of the credible sources on the topic.
16. The causes and effects of having a poor body image (You may focus on girls and women).
17. The effects of ageism. The effects of surviving trauma.
18. The effects of stress (on the brain, on students, on medical workers, etc.).
19. What are the effects of taking a gap in or before college or university?
20. The effects of homeschooling.
21. Why do so many students drop out of college?
22. How does the use of technology in the classroom affect learning?
23. The short-term and long-term effects of bullying. The effects of cyberbullying.
24. The causes and effects of the restriction of free speech on campus. The review of credible sources on the topic.
25. The causes and effects of high tuition fees.
26. The effects of growing up in poverty.
27. The effects of early sexual initiation.
28. The effects of exposure to prison culture.
29. The causes and effects of high unemployment rates.
30. The effects on social media (on individuals, on society, on business).
31. Positive and negative effects of e-commerce.
32. Why do people leave their home countries? What are the effects of migration on immigrants and home countries?
33. How do immigrants affect the destination country’s economy and culture? (It is better to consider the actual country, e.g. the USA)
34. The causes and effects of terrorist attacks.
35. The causes and effects of mass surveillance (Tell how states, primarily, the US, justify this; how it affects privacy, personal security, crime prevention, and investigation, etc., what possible consequences there can be).
36. The causes and effects of racial discrimination.
37. The effects of legalizing (1) same-sex marriages, (2) euthanasia, (3) marijuana, (4) abortion, (5) genetic engineering research, etc. (Discuss what possible effects experts predict, what effects have been observed in countries that have already adopted a similar policy, what the effects of not adopting a policy are)
38. The causes and effects of increasing the normal retirement age? (Consider the effects on the economy, healthcare, personal well-being of older people)
39. The effects of creating inclusive workplaces.
40. The causes and effects of low and high civic engagement in society.
41. The effects of rapid technological progress on society.
42. The causes and effects of pollution.
43. The effects of the overpopulation on the planet. Review of credible sources on the topic.
44. The causes and effects of global warming.
45. The causes and effects of deforestation.
46. The causes and effects of the extinction of species.
47. What is the effect of the consumption of meat on the environment? (The documentary Cowspiracy will be the number one source for an essay)
You can choose any historical event or movement you are interested in and discuss why it happened and what consequences it had. Considering the wealth of topics, which can be coined this way, I give just a few examples here.
48. The effects of colonialism on the colonized nations.
49. The causes and effects of slavery (in the US, in the UK).
50. The causes and effects of the oppression of Jews by Nazi.
51. What is the effect of 911 on the perception of terrorism and national security strategies?
52. The causes and effects of Japan’s economic miracle.
53. The causes and effects of China’s economic growth.
54. The causes and effects of globalization.
55. The causes and effects of the global economic crisis of 2008.
56. The causes and effects of current sanctions against Russia.
The words “effect” and “cause” should not necessarily be mentioned in the title of your essay, but they should be implied. If the title may be paraphrased so that you use these words, it is ok for a cause and effect essay topic. For example, Why does parent-child conflict happen? = What are the causes of parent-child conflict?
If your professor encourages you to have a creative original title, do not concentrate on how to show that it is a cause and effect essay in the title – it is enough to show it through the content and structure of your essay, your thesis statement, and your conclusion. For example, the title More Terrorism or More Terror? may work great for a cause and effect essay on the topic What is the effect of 911 on the perception of terrorism and national security strategies? If you want to make an original title based on one of the suggested topics for cause and effect essay, don’t hesitate to ask.
If you need professional assistance to turn your rough draft into a winning essay, I’d love to help.
If you lack time or knowledge to write an essay on your own, you may use the services of this paper writing company (Disclosure: This is an affiliate link and I will get a bonus for referring you. I have researched the company and think it can be trusted but please make your final decision at your own discretion)